“Self-reliance is the ability, commitment, and effort to provide the spiritual and temporal necessities of life for self and family.” (LDS Definition)
12 Principles of Self-Reliance
- Exercise Faith in Jesus Christ: I believe this is elemental in all we do in life.
2. Use Time Wisely: When we learn how to organize our time to work more effectively, we accomplish much more. Next week, we’ll have a post about Using our Time Wisely.
3. Be Obedient: God has given us commandments to follow. We need His help in all we do, so this step makes perfect sense to me. Do as He asks; receive help.
4. Manage Money: Most of my life, I found this difficult. But I realized that if I did not change myself, they way I look at money, and the way I treat it, I would always manage money poorly. (We’ll have a post soon on this too.)
5. Work: Take Responsibility: I am a firm believer that we are required by God to work. Now, some have physical reasons why they cannot do physical labor, some, why they can’t do mental work, but all of us can do something. And I believe that as long as we rely on others to do for us, we will always be waiting on others. Why live waiting for things to happen to you? Why not make things happen for yourself?
6. Solve Problems: God has given us minds and expects us to use them. Again, we need to learn to do for ourselves. This doesn’t mean to not ask for help, but have we run through scenarios? Have we worked out for ourselves things that may work as solutions and then taken it to the Lord and ask Him if the solution we came up with is right? (If the answer is no, do it again.)
7. Become One, Work Together: When we have a mutual purpose, and work together, we accomplish so much more.
8. Communicate: Petition and Listen: Not only must we learn to communicate with our spouse, children, parents, etc., we must learn to communicate with God. We need to petition God with the things we need and want, then listen for the inspiration He will send. God does know what we need, but He wants us to ask for it.
9. Persevere: “Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.” (Hebrews 12:1)
10. Show Integrity: “Integrity is doing the right thing. Even when no one is watching.” (C.S. Lewis)
11. Seek Learning and Education: “The capacity to learn is a gift; the ability to learn is a skill; the willingness to learn is a choice.” (Brian Herbert)
12. Stay On Task: “Force yourself to prioritize so that you know that you will finish at least that one critical tasks during the period of the day when you have the most energy and the fewest distractions.” (Tony Schwartz)
(The list of 12 Principles of Self-Reliance was taken from lds.org but the words after are either my own or quotes from others.)